FreeGaza Movement bio photo

FreeGaza Movement

Human rights group that sailed 5 times into port of Gaza.

Twitter Newsletter Facebook Youtube Flickr

Paypal Donation


On Saturday the 6th of September, human rights workers from the Free Gaza
Movement and the International Solidarity Movement again accompanied
Palestinian fishermen in Gaza. It was just 09:30 in the morning, and we
were only 4 miles out to sea, having barely left Gaza’s coastline behind,
when the gunboat’s heavy machine gun opened up, spraying the wake around
our hull with bullets.

There was no surprise. We’d just spent the previous 10 minutes watching as
this Israeli gunboat harried another vessel from our fishing fleet. It
would accelerate into an attack run, only to veer off at the last moment
before collision, battering the fishing boat with its wake. It would pull
alongside screeching threats and commands to stop over the megaphone.
Throughout, its machine barked menacingly, peppering the air and water
around the boat with bullets.

When our turn came, our skipper just stuck steadfast to his course,
neither slowing down nor speeding up. The crew continues preparing the
nets, only pausing briefly to consider the crack of the machine gun and
the trajectory of the bullets that were coming their way. This morning
they were going to fish.

They had to fish. How could they stop and turn back now? Why would they
stop when they hadn’t even reached the so-called "6 mile limit" (not some
agreed perimeter, not some internationally recognized  boundary, indeed
not even a border which had ever been officially declared or communicated
to them, but just an arbitrary and elastic space delineated with the
threat of gunfire)? And of course this gunboat was probably just toying
with them as others like it had done so often before. These shots were
most likely simply warning shots. Not like those which hospitalized 2
fishermen 3 days ago. Not like those that killed 14 of their colleagues in
the last few years. Probably.

As expected, the gunboat got bored, perhaps even embarrassed with its
failure to force some sort of  response. It withdrew and began slowly
patrolling slowly back and forth, as if nothing had happened. This respite
was welcome but brief. In the early afternoon another gunboat appeared on
the horizon, heading in our direction at full speed. It tore in and out of
our fleet again and again, weaving between our boats as if flags in a
slalom ski course. A few bursts from its machine gun and it left just as
promptly as it appeared.

Before long and the light began to fade. All in our fleet were heading
back to Gaza City, dragging their nets for the last time that day. We
waited eagerly in anticipation of Iftar and the time when we could break
our fast. Two of the men had already begun preparing the Ramadan supper,
frying fish and prawns from that day’s catch. We gazed out across the sea,
calculating how long it would be before the low sun finally met the

Suddenly another gunboat appeared with a definite menace apparent in its
speed and course. Its cannon roared twice, the shells narrowly missing one
of the leading boats, exploding in the water. Tracer bullets then pierced
the dim light streaking across the sky just as the gunboat swerved again
and went for another target. Its cannon roared a third time, and we tried
to film, but the light was now so dim and the boat far away. But it
mattered not. The fishermen insisted we stop, for the Ramadan supper was
ready and their course was already set.

–Andrew Muncie, Free Gaza Movement, Gaza<p></p>